Seventh Squad detectives are investigating the circumstances surrounding an incident during which a woman’s hand was injured by fireworks Thursday morning.
A 73-year-old woman was cleaning up from a party held on July 4 at 52 Carlton Ave, Mastic, when she went outside to have a cigarette at approximately 11 am. The woman placed a lit cigarette in an ashtray causing a firework in the ashtray to explode, severing the tip of one finger and injuring other fingers on her right hand.
The victim, who resides in Florida and was at the residence visiting her son and his family, was alone in the home when the incident occurred. She was transported via police helicopter to Stony Brook University Hospital.