As a result of a positive response to the town’s glass recycling program, supervisor Ed Romaine has announced that the Department of Recycling and Sustainable Materials Management has expanded the glass recycling drop-off locations. The four new locations are: the Henrietta Acampora Recreation Center in Blue Point; Mastic Recreation Center; Fireman’s Field in Ridge and the Comsewogue Public Library in Port Jefferson. At every location there are separate bins for green, brown and clear glass. Currently, the glass is largely reused for municipal operations wherever sand is needed — road base for internal roads, drainage, and construction of landfill. By separating glass by color, the town has opened the door for larger-scale glass recycling and is currently in discussion with regional glass recyclers to establish a long-term program. The town plans to add more glass recycling drop-off locations in the future.
The glass recycling drop-off locations in the Town of Brookhaven are:
- Brookhaven Town Hall, One Independence Hill, Farmingville
- Brookhaven Landfill, 350 Horseblock Road, Brookhaven: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 2:45 p.m., Saturday-Sunday, 7 a.m. to noon
- Manorville Compost Facility, Papermill Road, Manorville: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., closed 11:50 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Holtsville Ecology Center, 249 Buckley Road, Holtsville: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Rose Caracappa Sr. Center, 739 Route 5A, Mt. Sinai
- New Village Recreation Center, 20 Wireless Road, Centereach
- Town of Brookhaven Parking Lot, Across from Three Village Inn, 150 Main Street, Stony Brook
- Henrietta Acampora Recreation Center, 39 Montauk Highway, Blue Point
- Mastic Recreation Center, 15 Herkimer Street, Mastic
- Fireman’s Field, 25 Middle Country Road, Ridge
- Comsewogue Library, 170 Terryville Road, Port Jefferson Station
Go to www.BrookhavenNY.gov/recycle for more information about the town’s recycling program, including the Curbside Recycling Schedule, Acceptable Recycling Materials Guide and Recycling Special Events.