Town honors original Calabro Airport owners

Brookhaven Town councilman Dan Panico recently presented a plaque to the Kaloski family of Center Moriches for their contributions to aviation in Brookhaven Town. Victor and Ed Kaloski, two brothers originally from Moriches, started Brookhaven Air Service in 1946, on property that is now Brookhaven Calabro Airport on Dawn Drive in Shirley. The Kaloski brothers operated the airport until 1963, offering flight instruction, maintenance, repair and tie-down rentals. The airport was subsequently assumed by the Town of Brookhaven as a municipal airport, but the Kaloskis had a significant impact on aviation in Brookhaven, having taught numerous residents how to fly, including the airport’s namesake, Doctor Calabro.

Recent Posts